In the Eyes of a Mere Student

When I first stepped in this institution, I immediately noticed her.  Who wouldn’t, anyway? There she was, standing in front of all of us, smiling and leading us in reciting the Panatang Makabayan. She looked like she can vanquish anyone just by her sweet smile. It made me want to know more about her. Since then, I’ve watched her from afar.

As the days had gone, I came to know a few more things about her. She was a grade 10 Special Science Class student and elected Supreme Student Government President for the school year 2016-2017. Apart from this, I’ve also learned that she was the top student of her class and that she was an SSG Officer since her 7th grade. I was awed and felt honoured for I have met such a promising lady.

But these things that I’ve learned made me wonder how she managed to balance her activities. I heard that being in the SSC meant that a lot of school works is piled in front of you and of course, leading a group of more or less 2000 students is not an easy task. However, my queries always vanished every moment I see her looking all relaxed and comfy doing her leadership stuffs.

I have never seen her cry even if hurt and weariness were already evident in her eyes. That’s why I looked up to her. But little did I know that that was only the façade of a strong leader, an act that masks all of the criticisms she had dealt with since the start of her term.

It was already past five one afternoon when I happened to walk by the front of their classroom. I saw her being comforted by one of her friends as her tears rolled down her cheeks. I was astounded. What could have possibly happened that made a strong lady like her cry? What problem could she be dealing with that it made her look all weak right at this moment? I thought she never cried at all but why was she crying now?

As I continued to walk, their conversation became clearer. I overheard her talking about being tired of everything. She said she was tired of all the critiques. She was tired of the people seeing only her mistakes and never her correctness. She was tired of the students’ savage bad manners and her officers’ disobedience. She was tired of trying to help make the school and the students better. She said she felt like quitting and giving up.

But her friend told her that she shouldn’t. Her friend told her that there will always be people who won’t see your best efforts and that there will always be people whom you can’t please. Then, she stood up, dried her tears and inhaled deeply. She said, “That’s right. I won’t give them the satisfaction of seeing me burdened. I should just continue doing my work. I should just not mind what they’ll say.”

I was awed, once again. That event gave me quite an overview of how hard her work is and how strong she really was that even though she was about to give up, her desire to serve her fellow students still emerged higher that any of her problems.

After that incident, my desire to go near her and talk to her became stronger. However, how could I when I am merely a lost student’s wandering soul? I wish I was like her when I was still alive. I guess I’ll just continue watching and admiring her from afar. I wish you luck, Miss President. May the odds be ever in your favour.

Mga Komento

Mga sikat na post sa blog na ito

Monologo ni Sisa

Isang Baso ng Tubig

Anekdota ng Aking Pag-ibig